Gong Hei Fat Choi!
Happy Chinese New Year everyone! The official lunar new year, known as the Year of the Fire Dog, began yesterday, January 29, 2006. Having been a melting pot of so many races in Asia, with Chinese being the predominant one, it is no wonder that we Filipinos also celebrate it in a big way. Dragon dances, fireworks and firecrackers and the much-loved "tikoy" (Chinese new year pudding made up of ground glutinous rice flour, wheat starch, lard, water, and sugar) are usually in high demand. Per a feng shui master I saw on television over the weekend, this year augurs in a lot of change. Here are just some of her tips.
What to avoid in 2006:
- Guilt-trips (would have/ should have/ could have's)
- Pity-parties (I'll just sit here in the dark by myself)
- Pride ("cutting off one's nose to spite the face")
- Hanging on to dead-end anything (from relationships to clutter)
- Excessive worrying
- Panic (and it's ugly sisters -- anxiety and worry)
What to hold on to in 2006:
- A cause or special purpose
- Old friends who have stood the test of time
- Your Principles
- The Family Circle
The Dog year and those under it's influence are protectors of morals and defenders of the weak. Causes, revolutions and human-rights are on the agenda for the Dog year. The watchful Dog keeps us one step ahead of those who would harm us. However, while a single dose of anticipation is healthy, a double dose can be toxic and result in paranoia, expecting problems around every corner and jumping to conclusions throughout 2006.
Forecast Period: January 29, 2006 through February 17, 2007:
- Best Year For: Rabbits, Dogs
- Great Year: Tigers, Horses
- Good Year: Pigs, Snakes
- Mixed Year: Goats, Monkeys, Oxen, Rats
- Difficult Year: Roosters, Dragons
Interesting bit I found about those born on these auspicious years (1946 and 2006). According to the Chinese, Fire Dogs are natural leaders. Fire Dogs are popular, charismatic people, always surrounded by a group of admirers. Not only admired for their vibrant personalities, they also possess a sexual attractiveness that makes them irresistible. These people are adventurous and vivacious, yet honest and open-hearted. However, because they are so active, they are generally not the settling-down type.